Skip to content
- Union government has announced implementation of the Nagar Van Scheme on the occasion of the World Environment Day (5th June).
About Nagar Van Scheme:
- Aim: To increase forest cover in urban areas by developing 200 Urban Forests across the country in next five years.
- Implementation: It will be implemented with people’s participation and collaboration between the Forest Department, Municipal bodies, NGOs and corporates.
- Funding: The finances for the scheme will be paid for by the CAMPA (Compensatory Afforestation Fund (CAF) Act, 2016) funds.
- Warje Urban Forest in Pune (Maharashtra) will be considered as a role model for the Scheme.
- This Urban Forest project is now helping maintain ecological balance, serving both environmental and social needs.
- Warje Urban Forest or Smriti Van:
- It is a Public Private partnership project of Pune that has been successful in converting 16.8 hectare of barren Warje hill into green forests.