The accuracy of the Extended Range BRAHMOS Land Attack Missile was Indian Navy successfully demonstrated by the Indian Navy.
- The India Navy assessed the accuracy of the extended range land attack BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile from the stealth destroyer INS Chennai.
- The missile exhibited its extended range trajectory and capability of performing complex manoeuvres.
- This signifies the remarkable achievement of the Indian Navy and its influence on land operations far away from the sea.
- The BRAHMOS missile and INS Chennai are indigenously built and uphold the visions of Atmanirbhar Bharat and Make in India.
Gist Of PIB For UPSC IAS Current Affairs Preparation
BRAHMOS: The Advanced Version
- The advanced version of BRAHMOS supersonic cruise missile is provided with an increasing strike capability and long range precision.
- The range of this version has been extended from existing 290 km to 350 km.
- This determines the cutting-edge of Indian missile and ship-building prowess.
About INS Chennai
- INS Chennai is a Project-15A Guided Missile Destroyer that was commissioned into the Indian Navy at the naval dockyard, Mumbai.
- This represented the warship building capability and defence preparedness of India ensuring maritime security.
- This is regarded as one of the most potent warships to have been constructed in India.
- It is propelled by four gas turbines accompanied by four powerful gas turbines in a Combined Gas and Gas Configuration (COGAG) which facilitates a speed in excess of 30 knots.
- COGAG is a propulsion system that involves two gas turbines connected to a single propeller shaft allowing the advantage of having two different power settings that contribute to the fuel efficiency.
- Its enhanced stealth features result in a reduced Radar Cross Section through efficient shaping of hull, full beam superstructure design, plated mast and use of radar transparent materials on exposed decks.
- This stealth destroyer is provided with sophisticated weapons and sensors like surface to surface missile and surface to air missiles.
- The indigenously developed rocket launchers and torpedo launchers offer anti-submarine warfare features to INS Chennai.
- Therefore, it is capable of fighting under Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) warfare conditions.