- Recently, the seventh edition of the Raisina Dialoge was held in New Delhi.
Raisina Dialogue, 2022
- The theme for the Conference was ‘Terranova- Impassioned, Impatient, Imperiled’.
- It had six thematic pillars:
- Rethinking Democracy: trade, technology and ideology
- End of Multilateralism: a networked global order
- Water Caucuses: turbulent tides in the Indo-Pacific
- Communities Inc: first responders to health, development, and planet
- Achieving Green Transitions: common imperative, diverging realities
- Samson vs Goliath: the persistent and relentless technology wars
- The Raisina Young Fellows programme was also conducted along with the Conference.
- The Raisina Dialogue is India’s premier foreign policy conference on geopolitics and geoeconomics committed to addressing the most challenging issues facing the global community.
- The first session was held in 2016.
- It is organized on the lines of the Shangri La Dialogue which takes place annually in Singapore and is co-hosted by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and the Observer Research Foundation (ORF).
- The name Raisina Hills comes from the place where India’s seat of power resides. It is an area in Delhi where the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and other important government offices are situated.
Important Takeaways of Conference
- The Conference had deliberation on hosts of issues plaguing the international community. Certain important deliberations were on:
- Economy and Finance:
- Regarding ring-fencing the global financial flows and mechanisms from political blockages.
- Securing supplies of rare earth minerals and semiconductors to ensure the spread of sustainable, quality infrastructure.
- Role of QUAD in carving new economic architecture for the Indo-Pacific.
- Measures to reverse deglobalisation.
- Banking the next 2 billion, the future of digital banking.
- Authoritarian regimes’ determined pursuit for tech supremacy and the perils of the big techs.
- Ways through which the international community can ensure the supply lines essential to health and food security.
- Ensuring maritime nations play an instrumental role in shaping new low-carbon development strategies while also dealing with biodiversity preservation, the costs of adaptation and with debt burdens worsened by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Measures through which India can strengthen the W20 during its G20 Presidency.
- Role of America in the wake of the Afghanistan debacle and Ukraine crisis.
- Measures to sustain the post-World War consensus with the current role of America.
- Ways through which Africa can contribute to a new economic order led by women and strengthened through diversity and inclusion.
- Measure to harmonise Global Gateway Project, Belt and Road Initiative and Build Back Better World (B3W) initiative along with political tensions associated.
- Measures to build self-reliance and bring businesses back to track in the aftermath of Covid 19.
- Ways to boost economic recovery and sustainability in the post-pandemic economic architecture.
- Channeling infrastructure capital to serve both strategic aims and developing nations’ need for resilience and self-reliance.
- Role of women leadership in securing the SDGs.
- Empowering women post- covid 19 and unlocking their potential for accelerated development.
Significance of Raisina Dialogue
- With the first session in 2016, the Raisina Dialogue has grown in stature and profile to emerge as a leading global conference on international affairs.
- It brings together leaders from the global strategic and policy-making community to discuss key geopolitical developments and strategic issues facing the world.
- The theme every year at the Conference is aligned to issues of utmost importance for the global community. The brainstorming ensuing helps policymakers across countries to tinker with their policy regime to rectify the issue.
- It maps the evolving geopolitical and geoeconomic trendlines, questions the persisting dogma and encourages future oriented thinking.
- It reinforces rules based international order by having on board different voices and opinions and bringing forth a consensus amongst them.
- It has helped India come on the world map when it comes to having a global think tank and a seat for setting up rules for multilateral institutions.